IOCP? Can't you do that from PC-readable media these days?

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Edward Gould <edgould1...@comcast.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:34 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: VTL as 3490 vs 3590

> On May 22, 2018, at 1:04 AM, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Radoslaw Skorupka wrote:
>> It is really nice sales pitch, but *technically* IBM it is no longer
>> possible to write directly to a tape volume from z/OS.
>
> First of all, it's not a sales pitch. I don't do sales pitches very well.
>
> Second, it's also no longer possible to "write directly" to disk drives.
> *All* mainframe-attached storage -- flash/SSD, disk, and now tape -- is
> highly virtualized, with intelligent controllers equipped with caches.
>
> Why is this progress a problem? And it's a very long arc of progress, not
> at all sudden. As I've carefully and accurately documented, there was
> nearly 19 years of product overlap as IBM tape made the transition to
> virtualized-physical.
>
> Finally, "ask your friendly IBM representative" about IBM TS1155/TS4500
> attachment to your IBM TS7700. I have no inside information on that, but I
> do pay some attention to IBM's past practices. What I see is that, for
> several generations of tape drives stretching back many years, IBM has
> waited some period of time before certifying z/OS use of that new tape
> drive/tape media/density. I suspect that's because IBM is just being that
> extra bit careful with your most precious data (such as most of the world's
> most important financial records) and its long-term retention needs, but
> ask.

Timothy,
I disagree about your sales pitches a little. You do do them but not as blatant
as others.
I am wondering about your descriptions a little, from several perspectives IBM
is cutting their head off.
I have had about 5 times in my life as a sysprog, where various utilities
*FROM* IBM absolutely needed a stand alone tape drive, i.e. one you had to
mount a physical tape to do say a stand alone restore and the other function I
needed was to supply the CE with a IOCP deck that was needed for a new system
(fresh from IBM). There were others which I have done in mostly the middle of
the night (one or two was with IBM[’s blessing).
I know its not an ever day occurrence but the point is you still need a
physical tape drive.
I am attempting to remember other utility type functions that a physical tape
was needed but it is late.
Ed