From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Edward Gould <edgould1...@comcast.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2018 11:46 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: empty KSDS behavior - why?

> On May 27, 2018, at 8:51 PM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:
>
> Exactly. I am no VSAM guy ... but whatever magic you have to do manually go
> get the VSAM file to be readable, why can't AMS just do that when it creates
> the file? Is there any reason anyone would want a "virginal" (unreadable)
> VSAM file specifically?
>
> How many ABENDs, how many application problems, how many stupid little
> customer fixup programs and PROCs could have been saved if AMS just did that
> from the get-go?
>
> Or am I missing something? As I say, I am no VSAM guy.
>
> Charles
Charles,
I like many others feel your pain. I can understand it in a way, say a KSDS and
(in your world) VSAM automagically adds a record. What key would IBM possibly
use that high end up without it being a duplicate key. RRDS would automatically
loose 1 record as the first record would be ??. IBM decided (I think) to take
it as its *YOUR* dataset and its up to you to prime it.
Ed