There's already an RFE out for this:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=114659

Andrew Arentsen
Senior Mainframe Systems Engineer

From:   "Steve Thompson" <ste...@copper.net>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   05/30/2018 09:43 AM
Subject:        Best Group for COBOL Question(s)
Sent by:        "IBM Mainframe Discussion List" <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

Folks:

I've been searching and searching, and I know that at one time
there was a COBOL List server, but I can't find it now.

My question is, what would be the best group to ask a compiler
question (specific to COBOL) that Tom (forgot his last name),
would probably see?

IBM's blogs, community, etc are not my idea of a good time --
already got out there and spent too much time battling through
their interface.

And so you can enjoy this, my question is, why is it that OPT(0)
overrides INITCHECK, but if I ask for Optimization (e.g, OPT(1))
it works?

Frankly, I do not want anyone using INITCHECK (IC) outside of
OPT(0) which means NOOPT (except that you can't say that with
COBOL 6.2).

Yes, INITCHECK is ONLY done by the Compiler during Parse/SCAN
operations and not during code gen (as I read the manual).

But it takes more CPU for this to work, so why do that AND the
CPU burn of Optimization for a compile where one is attempting to
determine if fields are being referenced before they have had
something put in them?

So anyone else see anything a bit silly about this?

Regards,
Steve Thompson

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must
not disclose or use the information contained in it. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please tell us immediately by return e-mail and delete the
document.