From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Ed Jaffe
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2018 11:25 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: Use of dynamic system symbols in JCL

On 6/6/2018 8:51 AM, Steve Smith wrote:
> This has been previously discussed.  The main issue (as usual) is
> incompatibility with an ancient bug (or feature).  Specifically,
> temporary dataset names such as DSN=&TMP.  That's supposed to be
> DSN=&&TMP, but for whatever reason, the single-& version works, unless &TMP
> is a symbol.

Wow! I confirmed this is an exposure! I never knew!

IBM does not mention the single ampersand being valid temporary data set name
syntax in the description of the DSNAME parameter on the DD statement and I
have previously not seen it used that way.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.ieab600/iea3b6_Syntax25.htm

This reminds me of the rule in REXX where use of an uninitialized variable
results in the variable name itself being substituted. But, that is documented
behavior. This is just plain wrong.

It might be a good use of the common tracker component (GTZ) to help identify
JCL with such errors. Otherwise, every new symbol added -- to the system, to a
proc, to anything that might have visibility to a job stream -- can lead to
unexpected JCL errors.

--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe