The essence of the matter is to ensure that the selected configuration meets
the availability objectives of the business services supported by the sysplex.
One must consider the service restoration objectives for the business services
in light of the potential failures that can occur for a potential choice of
configuration.  There are many possibilities and different installations will
of course make different choices based on their own business objectives.
Choices of standalone CF, or structure duplexing, and the like are really all
talking about different ways of solving the "failure isolation" issue (wherein
we might be concerned about the time to restore the business service if we
simultaneously lose the data in the CF along with the system that produced that
data).  Each choice has its own advantages and disadvantages; choose the one
that's right for you.
--Mark Brooks
--z/OS Sysplex Development