On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 15:20:07 -0400, Hobart Spitz wrote:

>Steve, thanks for the kind words.
>
>One afterthought that might improve the use of the TSO PROC, if one is so
>inclined.  Use //   EXEC TSO,CMD=REXXTRY ,  Put REXXTRY into one of the
>SYSEXEC/SYSPROC libraries, if it's not already there.  It gives access to
>most of REXX to the SYSTSPRT records.  REXXTRY is roughly to REXX what csh
>is to C.

Not really.  And you stated the restrictions yourself.  And IBM wisely
originally
implemented the POSIX shell, only later caving to pressure from (t)csh
partisans.

>For example (untested):
>
>   1. *//MYJOBNAM JOB (acct),'M.E.SMITH',MSGCLASS=t,...*
>   2. *//     JCLLIB ORDER=(MY.JCL.LIB) Optional*
>   3. *//       EXEC TSO,CMD=REXXTRY*
That's more cumbersome than than just submitting an old-fashioned IEBGENER job.

The problem isn't JCL; it's OS.

I don't see that you allocated SYSPRINT.

Try doing the same with UNIX files and OMVS.  It's easier.

>    ...  On the other hand, you
>don't have multil-line commands, continuations, the ability to supply
>internal routines or SIGNAL handlers, ...

-- gil