It's a piece of cake using REXX with ISPF Table Services.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 9, 2018 8:56 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: REXX as JCL replacement

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 16:45:00 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>I wrote a product that as part of its processing generated JCL. (It was a side
>chore; it was not a "JCL-generator.") ...

I've done that a lot.  I like to keep JCL embedded in POSIX shell scripts as
here-documents.

o Not Rexx, first because Rexx has no instream data facility.

o I can use shell looping to generate multiple similar job steps.  I might
  do somewhat the same with PROC calls, but I think shell source is more
  compact than JCL.  And finer granularity: I can write a shell function
  that generates a single DD statement -- not so with a JCL proc.

o I can substitute shell variables in JCL commands and JES instream data alike.
  I started doing this before SET and DD *,SYMBOLS existed.  It still works
well.

o Like Rexx it's free of the apostrophe catastrophe.  Metacharacters arising
  from symbol expansion have no metasignificance -- they become ordinary
  text with no need to escape, protect, or double them.

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 20:11:17 -0400, Steve Smith wrote:

>Ed Jaffe posted a video... it seems he worked some magic on it so that it's
>only an excerpt from a longer presentation.  It runs about 5 minutes, and
>it's well worth that.  Frederick P. Brooks had many talents, one of which
>is he's an engaging and funny speaker.
>
>The upshot (for our purposes) of his talk was that while they had a lot of
>smart people designing some smart languages, JCL somehow appeared without
>ever being planned or designed.

I see much the same about HLASM.  It has a woeful lack of lexical uniformity.

> ...He *emphatically* states it's "the worst
>language ever created, for any purpose, ever".  Twice, if I counted
>correctly.
>
>Learning JCL is like learning Sheephead... at some point, you start to
>think people are just making sh*t up as they go along.  Come to think of
>it, I think they probably did.

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1Jgwmmw9bLf0xOyiZDG1PP1xIQg4CsupCNE-cVCbYmbzSZDMM3yKPaNSKAYszYfkF-qgdP7gUVy46NqcJZFPP9oJOOCIqLxwZPIUUb8mVrTavbnnx5w9VjO85EIlASos--nZ95hD6A6cjS7oDsmxSdAsBDIwTRHxNbEeXw2NDnhJyi6-39dzLNyj0D8ArB7L3EyFPi6M-jPPUFf2Wisd60J_-zaKOzpguch0JTIYpsQMPRh3rLe60Wmmvp9kyUTl98gNIlg-EpPg8IQ7r07hP_xhekRkemuENcHaHVrOtyawyPKCUHkfrha_uV6aKuxaxfKDVCLBdsb0u0Q7yRyXhcbGKoDjNTLx2Sumchu_BsNuQsVo8uqB21WybtdF8JIED6LV8-FkHwda8rVSbGglEKJ4POJQ00GLCDNxFmr5nZYftJsEmzC0ba42h7q4SqOua/https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSheepshead_%28game%29
??? Calvinball?

-- gil