The proc author probably wouldn't do in that manner.  Look at excerpt below,
notice how LKED SYSLIN is referencing a dsn from a previous step?

SYS1.PROCLIB(IBMZCPLG) - 01.01                          Columns 0000
 ===>                                                          Scroll ==
//*********************************************************************
//* PRE-LINK-EDIT STEP
//*********************************************************************
//PLKED    EXEC PGM=EDCPRLK,COND=(8,LT,PLI)
//STEPLIB  DD  DSN=&LIBPRFX..SCEERUN,DISP=SHR
//SYSMSGS  DD  DSN=&LIBPRFX..SCEEMSGP(&PLANG),DISP=SHR
//SYSLIB   DD  DUMMY
//SYSMOD   DD  DSN=&&PLNK,DISP=(,PASS),UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(CYL,(1,1)),
//             DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=&SYSLBLK)
//SYSIN DD DSN=*.PLI.SYSLIN,DISP=(OLD,DELETE)
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSOUT   DD  SYSOUT=*
//* LINK-EDIT STEP
//LKED     EXEC PGM=IEWL,PARM='XREF',COND=((8,LT,PLI),(8,LE,PLKED))
//SYSLIB   DD  DSN=&LIBPRFX..SCEELKED,DISP=SHR
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSLIN   DD  DSN=*.PLKED.SYSMOD,DISP=(OLD,DELETE)

Cliff McNeill