On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 09:56:26 -0700, Tom Brennan wrote:

>I've always considered DD's one of the major differences between MVS and
>other platforms.  I remember one of my first BASIC programs in college
>where we had to code something like "OPEN PAYROLL.DATA FOR INPUT AS #1"
>and sort.  The first thing I thought of was, "So we have to update the
>program every time we want to sort a different file?"

So of you search far enough, you can find something worse than JCL to
compare it to, making JCL only the *second* worst programming
language in existence.  Provided BASIC is still viable; otherwise JCL
reclaims last place.

But don't you have to update the JCL every time you want to sort a different
file?"  Code is code.  I have a number of scripts with symbol assignments at
the top.  I EDIT; SUBMIT; CANCEL.  Why should it be better to edit a JCLLIB
member; SAVE; and INCLUDE it instead?

>DD redirection:  Genius, whoever thought of it.

-- gil