Once again motivated to look for the message in recent OPERLOG. Found something
I did not see a few days ago. This is apparently not the same case that OP
described, but it is an instance of IEC614I SCRATCH FAILED. (There were a few
other cases of the message, always from NDM/ConnectDirect, about not being able
to extend a data set.) This instance looks to be SAF related according to all
the other messages.

ICH408I USER(xxx ) GROUP(xxx ) NAME(xxx, xxx )
xxx.xxx.BACKUP.G0002V00 CL(DATASET ) VOL(xxx)
  INSUFFICIENT ACCESS AUTHORITY
  FROM xxx.xxx.* (G)
  ACCESS INTENT(ALTER  )  ACCESS ALLOWED(NONE   )
IGD17105I CATALOG ERROR WHILE DELETING DATA SET
xxx.xxx.BACKUP.G0002V00
RETURN CODE IS 56 REASON CODE IS 6 IGG0CLFT
IGD306I UNEXPECTED ERROR DURING IGG0CLFT PROCESSING
RETURN CODE 56 REASON CODE 6
THE MODULE THAT DETECTED THE ERROR IS IGDVTSCU
SMS MODULE TRACE BACK - VTSCU VTSCT VTSDL SSIRT
SYMPTOM RECORD CREATED, PROBLEM ID IS IGD00181
---> IEC614I SCRATCH FAILED - RC 008, DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION IS (040942D1),
PCI,xxx.xxx.BACKUP.G0002V00

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson