On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 16:45:02 -0400, Tony Harminc wrote:

>> And I will once again reiterate the futile request to have Bookmanager
>> format be returned to service :)
>
>Or to have Bookmanager format open sourced...? Seriously, what's in it
>for IBM to sit on a data format it no longer uses or supports? Surely
>others would take it and run with it.

Would there be sufficient community interest to maintain it?  On what
variety of platforms?  PDF and HTML readers, in contrast, seem to support
themselves.

They'd need also to open source the content.

Some years ago, the PoOps outgrew the capacity of Bookie.  What refracturing
would be necessary to extend that capacity?  I suspect IBM investigated and
shied away.

It's irritating to find a manual split, like Assembler Services, at an arbitrary
point in the alphabet merely to conform to processor capacity.

Long ago, we compared prices of Bookie reader for Solaris(?), XA(?), PC.  The
difference exceeded the cost of the PC.  Easy business decision.

--gil