It's more than a custom; FB80 doesn't allow long lines.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 1:46 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: SYSREXX PDS size

(OK, I know my question sounded dumb, but I was afraid I was grossly
misinterpreting the thread.)

If I were gifted with the luxury of building a new MVS environment from
scratch, I would make all REXX and CLIST libraries FB-80. For one thing, that's
how virtually all vendors deliver execs. Running with concatenated VB libraries
means converting delivered FB objects to VB. Not a huge burden but a task that
must be performed periodically to keep up with vendor maintenance. In truth,
that chore often gets overlooked--for years at a time! So what's with VB?

Every 'mature' shop I've ever been in has used VB libraries. The custom--it's
no more than that--goes back decades (think 70s)--to the day when DASD was
extraordinarily slow and expensive. Execs are text files that contain lots of
trailing blanks. A VB data set can be edited to remove trailing blanks and
considerably reduce the space required to store execs and to perform I/O on
them. Long before MVS REXX, CLISTs were heavily used. VB reduced the overhead,
meaning that VB was more economical.

That concern seems pretty trivial these days. But in order to convert existing
VB exec libraries to FB, *every single user* in the shop would have to convert
at the same moment because, for the all the whizzbang modernization in MVS,
data set concatenation still requires all FB or all VB in a single DD. There
would be no grace period in the cutover. Just chaos.

In the case of system REXX, our SYS1.PARMLIB(AXR00) names only one SYSREXX
library, so we could convert that guy to FB with minimal impact. But really,
why bother? In 2018 I still get problem calls with mysterious abends resulting
from invalid concatenation.

A practical suggestion. If your SOP exec libraries are VB, you can get around
some concatenation problems like this:

ADDRESS ISPEXEC "SELECT CMD(EX 'SYS1.SBLSCLI0(BLSCLIBD)') MODE(FSCR)"

This statement in a VB library invokes the real IBM-supplied FB IPCS. No
conversion or periodic updates required. Transparent to the user.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company