From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 4:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SMP/E

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of CA. Do not click links or open
attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 15:02:07 -0400, Tony Harminc wrote:

>Fundamental question is whether you are more interested in using SMP/E
>for managing other peoples' software/maintenance/etc, or in using it to
>package up your own stuff for other people to use.
>
>Since (I believe) you work for an ISV, I'm guessing the latter. You
>certainly need to look at the SMP/E z/OS Packaging Rules, SC33-3695.
>Strangely this seems to have fallen out of the SMP/E doc set. In any
>case, it's very much a reference and not a tutorial, but does contain
>"best practices" and such.

Did that publication ever mature beyond beyond being tape-centric?
(Remember tapes?)  The chapter on GIMZIP in the SMP/E Ref. describes packaging
for RECEIVE FROMNETWORK/FROMNTS.  AFAIK, IBM has never supported ISV packaging
for RECEIVE ORDER.

-- gil