Jim Beck wrote:

>We've retired an application and are in the process of cleanup.  Does anyone
>know of a way to identify what is allocating a given dataset if it's never
>opened?  SMF cuts 14 & 15 records only if the dataset is open.  Other than
>scratch, rename, and other VTOC changes, I haven't found an SMF record that
>contains the dataset name, just the DD name or unit address.  The MONITOR
>option in CONSOLExx can track the deallocation in SYSLOG/OPERLOG, but for TSO
>sessions you can't tie that back to a CLIST or command.  For batch jobs, you
>can eventually tie it back to the step.  The only other way I've seen is the
>hit-or-miss enqueue check and contact the TSO session owner.

RACF. HSM. RACF. HSM. RACF. ;-)

Rename it with say '.X' after the name. Then Migrate that to lvl2. (You can
always HBACK it and delete the dataset if you want to be cruel. ;-D )

Then "altdsd '???' audit(all(READ))" and clear out access list in RACF.
Remember to have DATASET class in "LOGOPTIONS ALWAYS" in RACF too.

Drink good and hot coffee while waiting for your SMF record 80 or if it is
recalled or someone who complains.

I used in the past SMF 14 + 15 (and other types), later SMF 60 (?) for catalog
work. I once used MONITOR, but the SYSLOG just fill up too quickly. Anyways,
with dynamic SVC it is more difficult (at least to me) to trace usage of a
dataset. Looking in VTOC/catalog entry to see last usage date is probably
useful, but we're not using that much.

You can issue HL DATASETNAME("???") OUTDATASET("???") BOTH to see when the last
backup was made. This will show you when the dataset was last changed and thus
needed a backup (then).

Sometimes we rename it with 'X.' before the dataset, migrate it to lvl2 and
just simply wait until someone moans.

You have also gotten good replies. Pick your favourite. ;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht