From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Scott Barry
Sent: 04 December 2018 17:13
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: IFASMFDP

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 16:45:26 +0000, Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
<vignesh.v.sankaranaraya...@marks-and-spencer.com> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Say there's a file called SMF.WEEKLY and it is a huge, multi-volume file, and
>is an aggregate of all SMF.DAILY files (data is sequential).
>If I want to pick out data from just the first day of the week from
>SMF.WEEKLY, using IFASMFDP, apart from specifying DATE(yyddd,yyddd), is there
>a more efficient way?
>
>That is, knowing that the data I need ends within the first few vols of the
>multi-vol SMF.WEEKLY, is there a way to avoid the cost of going through the
>whole SMF.WEEKLY file?
>
>As always, thanks for your inputs.
>
>- Vignesh
>Mainframe Infrastructure
>

>MARKSANDSPENCER.COM
>________________________________
>Unless otherwise stated above:
>Marks and Spencer plc
>Registered Office:
>Waterside House
>35 North Wharf Road
>London
>W2 1NW
>
>Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.
>
>Telephone (020) 7935 4422
>Facsimile (020) 7487 2670
>
>www.marksandspencer.com

To your question/point with "..within the first few vols..." -- not likely if
you want high accuracy and completeness with the extracted data-subset -- would
need to know VOLSERs and select/choose somewhat arbitrarily.

As for IFASMFDP date-selection parameter generation, review the DFSORT
programmer guide documentation for "relative date" function / generation.

An alternative may be to create/maintain an SMS-managed, short-lived (consider
zEDC for efficiency) WEEKLY GDG (sorted or at least consider DD GDGORDER=FIFO
parameter).

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.