>What date and time in 1900, and what time scale?  GMT? UTC? UT1?
Ephemeris tme?
>Terrestrial dynamic time? ...?

Surely you know that the principles of operation documents that a clock
value of 0 is January 1, 1900 12:00 AM UTC (although I believe UTC did not
exist as a term when this was defined; it was presumably GMT at that
time), or the start of any subsequent epoch.

>I believe a programmer might reasonably expect that STCKCONV usefully
return
>whatever TIME would have returned at the instant of the STCK.

A programmer would expect next to nothing due to the name of a service
since it is not possible to define much in the way of expectations with
only 8 bytes of name.
A programmer would read the description to understand what a service does.

A programmer would wonder when they might want to use TIME and when they
might want to use STCKCONV, and base their decision on the service
definitions.
The difference is between "what date/time is it" and "what is the
date/time that a STCK value architecturally is" (which, ignoring bits
52-63, is the number of microseconds since the start of the standard
epoch).

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design