For a contrary opinion, I believe IBM's documentation and function of the
TOD clock to be quite adequate.  The provided macros do the fairly involved
arithmetic to convert a TOD number as-is, which is the most useful option.
Adjusting for leap seconds, DST, and time zone can easily be done before
conversion to a date/timestamp.  If all those were built-in, you'd need
several additional parameters to the macros to account for whether those
operations were needed or not.  That would complicate things for no
particular benefit.

Regardless, if that's the function you want, then bid for it, or write it
and sell it.  IBM evidently doesn't see the business proposition, so prove
them wrong.  For me, I'd just as soon code the 2-3 extra instructions
myself and know that I understand exactly what's happening.

sas