On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 05:21:30 +0000, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>"A STCK value came from the clock and is not to be considered UTC time."
>
>Then what is STP/NTP (or whatever the current mechanism is named) supposed to
>do?  Isn't the entire point of a hardware clock-setting mechanism to set the
>hardware clock to some agreed-upon and internationally-supported standard
>time?  Isn't that agreed-upon time (**at IBM's strong recommendation**) at
>least UTC time?  If so then STCK/STCKE/STCKF do indeed produce UTC time as a
>function of the IBM-chosen hardware epoch.  QED.

I believe otherwise.  In order to avoid discontinuities at leap seconds of the
sort
that cause network failures:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second#Examples_of_problems_associated_with_the_leap_second
the TOD clock runs (**at IBM's strong recommendation**) at a constant rate,
TAI - 10 seconds.  (I know no clear documentation of this (can someone help
me?),
but inferred it by converting the hex values in the PoOps.)  So I believe that
STCK
followed by STCKCONV will return TAI - 10 seconds at the instant of the STCK.
Not
very useful, nor intuitive.  The more reason for documenting affirmatively, not
merely stating what it *does*not*do*.

-- gil