I probably commented on TMM, because we really benefited using it. We were on
mainframe hospice, they weren’t going to improve anything before they killed
it, but we had to survive several years of growing usage first.  Had we been in
your situation, already having a virtual tape appliance, I'm not sure it would
have gained much.

What would TMM gain for you?  I'm not familiar with that hardware, but you
shouldn't have to wait long for mounts, you shouldn't be limited on drives and
surely doesn't waste storage on short tapes.

I don't recall such a cookbook.  If I remember correctly, I first looked at
demand mounts (non scratch), then at demand mounts that were created in the
past 36 hours.  If I could put data on disk that was to be referenced soon, it
would probably be referenced before it migrated.

I repeated that cycle for longer intervals until most demand  mounts were
eliminated.  I also looked for short tapes, where not much data was written.
We could satisfy most of our scratch mounts with the autoloaders on the drives,
but eliminating the short tapes was just less tapes to shuffle.

In our case, we saved a lot of clock time eliminating demand  mounts and drive
allocation.