From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of R.S.
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2019 2:09 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: Newbie SMP/E questions

W dniu 2019-02-01 o 19:50, Tom Conley pisze:
> On 2/1/2019 12:22 PM, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:
>> I'd like to explore this teaser post. I was (I think also) dubious
>> about the original comment in that it seems to disparage--or at least
>> discourage--mass service like RSU, which I view as a major advance in
>> software maintenance. Is there really wide-spread distrust of an
>> "unavoidable 'push'"?
>>
>> .
>> .
>
> A wise man once said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but with z/OS,
> it's ALWAYS broke!"  Older guy, beard, wore a denim newsie....

This guy was not necessarily wise.
It's rare to have completely isolated, fixed systems with no changes, including
software.
Having unsupported system and changing hardware is dead end. At some time you
HAVE TO apply some servicve because you changed DASD, because you have to
migrate from SSLv3 to TLS, because you have to switch from native SNA to
Enterprise Extender, etc. etc.
In IT world changes are consstant, so there are no "fixed state" of IT systems
(with very few exceptions).
So you have to apply *some* service. Usually it's much simpler when you apply
preventive service and upgrade to new versions. Otherwise you have problems
like how to migrate from unsupported OS on unsupported CPC to current OS/CPC.

My €0.02

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland