Thanks for the tutorial links, where I learned:

"Tutorial ---------------------- PA1 - ATTENTION --------------------- Tutorial
 Command ===>

 Normally, you should not use PA1 while operating in ISPF full-screen mode.
 PA1 can be used when operating in TSO line mode to exit from a TSO command,
 CLIST or REXX exec running under ISPF.

 While ISPF is in full-screen mode, if you press PA1 after the keyboard has
 been unlocked, PA1 is treated like PA2 (RESHOW). However, if you press PA1 a
 second time without any intervening interaction, the current function ends and
 the primary option menu (or a top-level selection panel supplied by the dialog
 writer) displays. Pressing PA1, while ISPF (under TSO) is operating in TEST
 mode, causes an immediate exit.

 If, while an ISPF function is processing, you unlock the keyboard (by pressing
 the RESET key) and then press PA1, normally the function ends and the Primary
 Option Menu displays."

Yes, my PCOMM ESC key maps to "Attention" or "[sys attn]" in PCOMM terms.
Shift-ESC maps to "SYS Request" or "[sys req]" in PCOMM terms.

Using the PCOMM pop-up keypad for "Attn" generates the exact same results as
"Esc" on my PCOMM keyboard mapping.

So I learned a new thing today, thank you.

Peter