Last week I talked with some people at IBM about this,
and no one of them mentioned additional costs; AFAIK, this is part of basic z/OS if you have release 2.2 or higher and should come at no cost (with 2.1, it can
be installed using PTF or APAR, IIRC).

This is NOT z/OS Connect EE, which may have additional costs. z/OS Connect
IMO supports both HTTP(S) client and server, whereas the z/OS Client web enablement
toolkit only supports z/OS acting as a HTTP or HTTPS client.

By the way: the tool uses a Unix System Service address space, probably to do the encryption work (SSL). The calling function must be compiled and linked using POSIX(ON). IMO, this would be the same, if we would stay with our current solution (which does the HTTP work already) and add the SSL logic using z/OS SSL encryption services ... this again would force us to use an USS address spaces and POSIX(ON).

Another option would have been to use the HTTP (and HTTPS) client features of
CICS and call CICS from batch using EXCI.

But: in the meantime, some architects at the customer's site decided that it would be probably better to use a dedicated security proxy server which is placed in the
secure zone besides the mainframe, so the communication from the mainframe
to the security proxy could remain HTTP (that is: my current solution), and the encryption and password enrichment etc. could be done by the security proxy. No change to the current mainframe solution needed at all. (The security proxy
etc. is technology that the customer already has).

Kind regards

Bernd