On 2019-03-21, at 10:03:08, Baxter, Bruce (ITS) wrote:

> I'm going to cross post this to mvs-oe as well as here...
>
> The folks that support Comm Server in-house have approached me about
> replacing the SMTPD (which is apparently a USS / OE facility) with CSSMTP,
> and I've got some thoughts about the particulars of their implementation that
> don't sit well with me.
>
> I'm a relatively passionate and ardent z mainframe bigot - it's a great
> platform to work on.  As mainframe folks tend to be, I'm a student of many
> platforms.  I was shocked when I went back and looked that I wrote an SMTP
> client in Cobol a full 25 years ago that is deeply imbedded in all my shop's
> batch jobs sending reports and notifications.   SMTP Port 25 sendmail /
> postfix is a staple and defacto standard worldwide as far as I can tell...
>
> When we had issues with our Lotus Notes MTA being reliably available and I
> couldn't prevail on the owners of that to make it enterprise bulletproof, we
> had our z/OS Comm Server folks fire up the local USS SMTPD sendmail daemon.
> It's been announced that function will be deprecated in the future and will
> be replaced by CSSMTP.  After reading through the doc, I can't help but think
> that IBM z/OS CS support has lost their marbles.  They're removing support
> for clients that want to send email via a local sendmail daemon listening on
> port 25 (or 587).  That doesn't make sense...
>
> So my questions are:
>
>  *   Is anyone else using a local sendmail daemon on their system?  From MVS?
>  From USS?
>  *   Has anyone seen the process that is documented by the Sendmail / CSSMTP
> bridge used ANYWHERE but on z/OS?  (I've never seen any script that used the
> sendmail command to send mail on any linux or aix system I've been on -
> they'd all use the mail command)
>  *   Is anyone using JES spool to send email off the platform?

https://serverfault.com/questions/244263/is-postfix-the-same-thing-as-sendmail

42  Sendmail is a different (and much older) program from Postfix.
    However for every mail server to succeed in the Unix environment,
    a sendmail binary (with some of the expected command line
    options) must be provided.

EDIT: See for example the manual page for the sendmail program provided by
Postfix

Think about FOSS.

-- gil