Allan Staller wrote:
>I am not aware of any shops that use SMTP "to the mainframe".
>i.e. the mainframe is not usually the target for inbound
>communications. This would require a "email server" to be running
>on the mainframe (HRC anyone?)

Even if "mainframe" means z/OS specifically in this context, yes, that
happened (and happens I assume). As one notable example, Lotus Domino for
z/OS (IBM Program Number 5655-S73) supported inbound SMTP (and a lot more).

As another example, Computer Application Services, Inc. markets a product
called "Mail2ZOS" which does exactly what it sounds like it does: equip
z/OS to receive and to process e-mail via SMTP. It's a specialized SMTP
server for z/OS, and it's also a POP3 client. Details here:

http://www.casisoft.com/Products/M2Z/M2ZHome.aspx

CASI's EMS (Electronic Mail System) for CICS (z/OS and z/VSE) is also still
available/supported:

http://www.casisoft.com/Products/EMS/EMSHome.aspx

Speaking of CICS, you can use IBM's CA1Y SupportPac to send and fetch
e-mail using standard protocols. CA1Y is not an e-mail server, though, and
the fetch portion has not been IBM tested.

https://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24033197

If you need an IBM supported way on z/OS to fetch e-mails from a POP3 or
IMAP e-mail server, then IBM Integration Bus for z/OS offers that
capability and much more. IIB can also send e-mails via SMTP.

If you need a new, generalized e-mail server then the open source Apache
James looks promising:

https://james.apache.org

It looks like Apache James Server can use Db2 as a data store.

Another possibility (although not actively maintained) is the open source
project SubEthaSMTP:

https://github.com/voodoodyne/subethasmtp

The list above is not a complete list.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE

E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com