From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Edwards
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2019 8:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: AMODE 32

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 14:42:47 +0300, Binyamin Dissen <bdis...@dissensoftware.com>
wrote:

>Sounds like a pretty narrow range of applications, where the existing above
>the line is not enough, but an extra 2G will be enough forever.

It's sometimes not a matter of "not enough"
so much as "capability". E.g. a 32-bit editor
is capable of editing either 2 GiB or 4 GiB
files, depending on whether it is compiled
AM31 or AM32. If you exceed the capability
you are forced to use your less-preferred
editor. I would like to give users the
maximum capability that 32 bits can give.

>Why do you feel 64bit is "overkill"?

Because it invalidates all old hardware. An
AM32 program can still run as AM31 on old
hardware, or even AM24 on very old
hardware.