Indeed. Long ago, at Mitre -- relatively small account (360/50 running OS/MVT
when I joined, 4341 and 4381 running VM as Single System Image when I left)
that punched above its weight, we had an FE room with supplies/manuals/etc. --
including microcode listings as long as they were available (very interesting
reading!). FE wasn't there full time but he was a regular visitor and great
partner. Same for PSR -- wasn't there full-time but came when needed or just to
check on how things were going. When IBM announced Support Center it was a very
hard sell convincing us (me!) that it would be an improvement over in-person
live-person familiar-person who knew the account very well. Since IBM wanted us
to be early adopter of Support Center when PSRs were still available, we made
them promise we could revert to PSR if we were unhappy, and we got a few
accommodations to how we liked to do business. I guess that was the old IBM...

"Schuffenhauer, Mark"<mschu...@tcfbank.com>  said:

When I was first working we had IBM folks in our building, every day, with
their own desks.   Opening a ticket involved talking to their desk and
explaining.  Amazingly someone would often call as soon as I got back to my
desk, sometimes even before.  The PMR's often were already opened.  I remember
cutting tapes and mailing them to IBM for PMR's.