Fixing the link and proving I’m a mainframer at the same time.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/zosbasics/com.ibm.zos.zmainframe/zconc_whousesmf.htm

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, May 11, 2019, 7:54 PM, Phil Smith III <li...@akphs.com> wrote:

You know, I'm as big a fan of the mainframe as anyone. I've used mainframes for
at least 45 of my 58 years on this planet, have made my living off them for
almost 40 of those, and continue to do so.

But the articles Bill Johnson is citing as proof that the mainframe is so
superior to other platforms are seriously weak, if read with a critical eye.

For those of us in the mainframe part of the industry, failing to recognize
that the mainframe is in trouble is beyond folly-it's hastening its demise.
Every year, more customers migrate away because they can, or at least think
they can. The real value of the mainframe today is in the business logic
implemented in billions of lines of COBOL and assembler and PL/I and the rest.
Reimplementing that from the ground up is what fails every time, whether
spectacularly (as in, it flat-out doesn't work and has to be scrapped) or not
(with "only" significant loss of function and/or bugs that the folks on the
ground must work through with great cost and pain).

We as mainframe fans need to keep our eyes on that ball, and use that extremely
compelling argument against migration, not wave our hands and say "It's
gooderT!" and expect that to somehow prevail against the evidence.

.phsiii