00000047540adefe-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu (Bill Johnson) writes:
> Right, my articles are flawed. Yet, real mainframe hacks can be
> counted on one hand. And many of those are hypothetical or were
> achieved via someone hacking a laptop (MSFT) or acquiring a valid
> userid because of someone’s stupidity. If hackers wanted to go where
> the money is, and banks would be the place, they would target the
> mainframe since nearly every bank in the world uses one.

one of the hack story issues is those using mainframes for critical
systems (especially financial) do quite a bit to keep such things
out of the news

I was in financial sector CIP meetings in white house annex
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_infrastructure_protection and
major issues was to make sure that the financial ISAC
https://www.fsisac.com/
wasn't subject to FOIA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_Information_Act_(United_States)

Was also brought in to help wordsmith some cal. state legislation. At
the time they were working on electronic signature, data breach
notification, and opt-in personal information sharing. There were
participants that were heavily into privacy issues and had done detailed
consumer/public privacy studies. The number one issue was "identity
theft", primarily information leaking used for fraudulent financial
transactions. The problem at the time was little being done about the
leaks & breaches (other than obscuring source of the problem). The issue
is normally entities take security issues in self-interest, in the case
of most of the information leaks/breaches, the institutions weren't at
risk, it was the public. It was hoped that publicity from breach
notifications might motivate corrective action.

Since then then there have been numerous federal data breach
notification bills introduced ... about half similar to the
cal. legislation and the other half with requirements that almost never
would be met (eliminating need for majority of breach notifications).