From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2019 12:17 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Need for a z/OS "master index" (Was RE: LOAD/LINK exit)

Yes! I remembered this exit being added to z/OS. I looked and looked and
looked at Installation Exits and when I could not find it, figured I must
have read more into CSVLLIXn than really existed.

z/OS desperately needs some sort of "master index." IBM has the AI to be
able to put up a site that could answer questions like "how do I monitor
every FETCH or LOAD?" (or, for that matter, "how do I convert RECFM=U into
RECFM=V?"). The platform really needs it. How often do we see questions here
where the answer is "it's right in the manual! RTFM you dummy!" The problem
is "how would I know to look in that manual?"

My favorite example: if you were new to this platform, how would you ever
guess that the tool to copy a file (oops, dataset) was named IEBGENER and
was documented in a manual named "DFSMSdfp Utilities"? Wouldn't it be great
if a newbie could just go "Watson! How do I copy a file?"

Just as an experiment, I just keyed "how copy a z/OS file" into KC and got
lots of hits, but not one of them was for IEBGENER. Changing file to dataset
at least gets me close: the fourth hit is for pervasive encryption and
IEBGENER.

Maybe we just need to learn to use KC more. You know what? I keyed the
original question, "how monitor every fetch and load" into KC and the very
first hit was for CSVFETCH.

Charles