https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.hasa300/has2v5_The_JES2_job_statistics.htm

The JES2 job statistics uses data accumulated while processing JCL statements
and SYSIN data to determine the number of input records read, and, while
creating SYSOUT, to determine the number of print and punch records. The number
of records reflect the actual records written to the spool and might not
necessarily indicate the number of cards, lines, or pages of output; this is
also true for the number of SYSOUT spool bytes. For example, specifying
multiple copies or using a punch with print commands can result in differences
between the number of records in the JES2 job statistics and the number of
lines or pages actually printed or cards actually punched.

The following is an example of the JES2 job statistics as they appear in the
JES2 JOBLOG:

    --------JES2 JOB STATISTICS--------

     14 OCT 2003 JOB EXECUTION DATE

         8,075 CARDS READ

           428 SYSOUT PRINT RECORDS    <-----

             0 SYSOUT PUNCH RECORDS

            82 SYSOUT PAGE RECORDS

            36 SYSOUT SPOOL KBYTES

          0.52 MINUTES EXECUTION TIME

If SYSOUT PRINT Records exceeds the maximum - then you get an S722

Remember - The JES2 spool is not a report repository.  The S722 is to prevent
jobs from allocating all of the spool space and leave nothing for other tasks
to use.  This would cause JES2 to stop working.

You need to talk to your z/OS System programmer and see how best to support
your job if it needs this much output produced.

You could put the output to a dataset rather than SYSOUT.

You did not say what kind of output is being produced or why it is so large.

I have seen applications do a lot of DISPLAY commands in COBOL just to have a
record of before and after images of the data.  This type of action should be
able to go to a dataset rather than spool.

SPOOL (SYSOUT=*) is typically used for report repository functions (Something
else will be ingesting that output to a tool like View Direct)

Lizette