From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Harminc
Sent: 10 July 2019 08:22
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: STC gets gets DAIR error 0218/0000

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 03:18, Robin Atwood <abend...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have a customer trying to allocate a data set on some kind of virtual
> tape device and the dynamic allocation is failing with 0218/0000: "user
> does not have volume mounting authorization". Using
> the same user id he is able to allocate the same data set from a TSO
> session. We suggested he give the user id of the file
> server the same permissions his TSO user id had, in particular the MOUNT
> profile in the TSOAUTH class. This made no
> difference. AFAIK, the TSO "authorities" are indicated in the PSCBATR1
> flags in the PSCB but are only present when a TSO environment has been
> created; the file server is running as a normal started task, no TSO. To
> make sure I had the customer sends us a dump of the server and, indeed,
> there is no PSCB.
>
> So what is getting checked and what might we tell the customer to enable
> so the file server can mount the tape?

Robin, you asked a perhaps related question back on 8 Nov 2016, under the
subject  "DAIR error 0470 allocating internal reader". That involved, among
other things, APAR OA50565.

While that was about the JCL flag in the PSCB, the MOUNT flag is in the
same place, and may be subject to much the same problem. At that time Jim
Mulder said (what I interpret as) IDCAMS has a private interface to the TSO
environment service that turns on the JCL bit.

Back then I commented that this (OA50565) seemed to have removed some
traditional options from batch jobs, which, in the absence of a TSO
environment, did not restrict anything controlled by the JCL or MOUNT flags
in the TSO segment.  Ah - OA50565 also refers to OA45876, which *is* about
MOUNT. But these are all old, so maybe something recent has further changed
the behaviour here. And yes, I realize that you don't seem to have a PSCB,
but still...

Tony H.