On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 22:36:43 +0200, Bernd Oppolzer wrote:

>>> I added BREAK, CONTINUE, RETURN, MODULE, LOCAL and STATIC;
>>> this was in the years from 2011 to 2016. No more need since.
>>>
>> I've done many of these as predefined quasi-identifiers, similar to Pascal's
>> predefined standard types.  A programmer could choose to declare CONTINUE
>> as an identifier, overriding its predefined meaning within the block
>> containing
>> the declaration.
>
>would not work with CONTINUE, because CONTINUE in my compiler
>is a real reserved word meant for loop control (same as in C, ITERATE in PL/1),
>and it cannot be overridden by a variable or type definition.
>
>If you have a program that uses CONTINUE as identifier for other things,
>you need to do a global change, if you want to use my compiler.

Ah, but that's in your compiler.  In "my" (actually my employer's) compiler,
we started from another (almost) free compiler having almost no extensions
beyond the IEEE standard.  I made CONTINUE an identifier with the peculiar
semantic in order not to break standard programs.

>The correct syntax, BTW, would be
>type integer = -32768 .. 32767;

Thanks.  It's been a long time.

-- gil