On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 11:59 AM Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> That's an excuse for Fortran, but PL/I already used colons, so why not :=?

I will go even farther that than. In today's world, especially outside of
the z Series, I would prefer the APL assignment character: ← Of course,
that is not on a keyboard. Well, except when I'm in my TN3270 emulator and
turn on APL and press the [ key. But I love APL. So much so that I have a
PC keyboard which has APL symbols on it. Because I use APL on Linux.