From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2019 1:28 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Where put the notional constant in a condition (Was RE: JCL COND
Parameter)

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 16:51:57 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>OOREXX now allows the equivalent of expressions in tails:
>
>  stem[tail expression]

What are those strange characters, "[" and "]"?  What are their EBCDIC code
points?

>If X is a floating point (REAL) variable, why shouldn't x**(-1) be legal?

X**(-0.5) is more a problem when X may be negative.

>A for using a floating point variable as a control variable, I have no
>sympathy. In the real world, measuring devices have errors and you should
>never expect equality of floating point numbers.

C really hasn't a control variable; merely initial, final, and terminal
conditions.

Rexx has control variables, but unlike other languages they may be modified
within the loop, with well-specified semantics.

In ALGOL-68, the loop statement itself declares the control variable, which is
local to the repetitive block and acts like a constant in that it's
syntactically
prohibited to modify it.

>I have never seen DWIM. ...

Indeed.  And a Bad Example is batch operators who "fix" programmers' coding
errors to do the favor of sparing a turnaround latency.

-- gil