On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 08:27, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 7:18 AM Raphael Jacquot <sxp...@sxpert.org> wrote:

> > did the competition (amdahl & others) had a "license" to produce mainframes
> > ?
>
> Good question. I was told that the 3rd party CPU hardware parties quit when
> XA came out do to some change. But I don't know if it was licensing, or
> maybe some patent, or just too expensive in the R&D area.

It happened with the switch to z architecture (roughly speaking,
64-bit). Amdahl and the others had been licensing both patents and
software for machines running up to ESA/370. In particular, to run a
parallel sysplex requires coupling code to run in a coupling facility,
and although I know Amdahl wrote their own, they had to license the
specs (unpublished) from IBM to do so.

By the time of zArch, IBM had for some time been patenting individual
machine instructions (who knew that was legit...?), the US consent
decree was ancient history, the European agreement that required them
to license things had just expired, and IBM presumably figured they
could get away with it. So they refused to license 64-bit anything to
anyone. (Well, who knows what they may have done in private, but
certainly there are no known 64-bit z machine makers with IBM
licences.)

> Maybe that is why IBM doesn't go after Hercules/390.

IBM doesn't do much of anything unless serious money is involved. So
they have indeed sat quietly wrt hobbyist use of Hercules, but IBM
*did* go after Hercules when real money came into the picture. IBM
didn't *start* the legal action, but they did refuse to license z/OS
for use on Hercules. So the makers of the commercialized version of
Hercules (TurboHercules) went after IBM, and lost. The other would-be
zArch-on-Intel competitor, PSI, was bought out by IBM earlier, in
2008.

Tony H.