I have a confusing issue with using COBOL E15/E35 exit programs where the exit
programs dynamically call application-specific subroutines in a JCL SYNCSORT.
The issue is from which library the exit programs are actually loading the
dynamically called subroutines.  It seems that the dynamic subroutines always
load from LINKLIB, and not from STEPLIB or JOBLIB.  What I EXPECTED to happen
was that the version of the dynamically called application-specific subroutines
in the STEPLIB or JOBLIB would be used, not the version in LINKLIB.

The JCL sort in question has a STEPLIB pointing to a small PDS with
application-specific versions of certain dynamically called subroutines.  The
MODS statement is coded like this:

MODS E15=(EXITE15M,2048000,,C),E35=(EXITE35M,2048000,,C)

When each of the exits (both are compiled with Enterprise COBOL V5.2) EXITE15M
or EXITE35M is called by SYNCSORT, the only version of those exit programs
available is in the LINKLIST in a global application library.  Both exits
dynamically call one of the application-specific subroutines as one of the
first things that they do.

The application-specific subroutine performs a WTO as part of its normal
operation (ROUTCDE=11,DESC=7) to allow identification of which version of the
subroutine was actually loaded and executed.

Even with a STEPLIB (and I also tried a JOBLIB) pointing to a library with
DIFFERENT VERSIONS of the application-specific subroutine than are in the
global application library in the LINKLIST, only the GLOBAL VERSION in the
LINKLIST application library is ever used, as evidenced by the WTO message
generated.

Is this a misunderstanding on my part of how dynamic calls from a MODS exit
program should work, or is this a potential issue for a call to SYNCSORT
support?

SYNCSORT level is 2.1.6.0N, z/OS V2.2.

TIA for any assistance or advice you can provide.

Peter

attachments from your system.