On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 18:50:00 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>ObNit submit() is a Unix System Services function that is written to be called
>from REXX. There are a bunch of them.

This implies that submitter must have an OMVS segment.  Is Default User
or Unique User supported nowadays?

>ObRaisedEyebrows For some reason IBM added the ANSI functions for
>stream I/O for REXX under Unix but not for REXX under TSO.

And only for UNIX files.

Feels political:  Conway's Law?

I believe the author was a UNIX-oriented developer, perhaps daunted
by the co-requisite for allocation.  But that was done for cp(1) and
a few other functions:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.bpxa500/usmd.htm

And it was done as a function package, so SIGNAL ON NOTREADY is
not supported.

A programmer might kludge SYSCALL PIPE and cp to get a
streamable file file descriptor file.

I understand that compiled Rexx supports ANSI stream I/O for
Classic data sets but not for UNIX files.

-- gil