On Sun, 3 Nov 2019 at 20:31, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:

> Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> >https://github.com/walmartlabs/zUID
> >Courtesy of Walmart
>
> Tony Harminc wrote:
> >Wouldn't want to bump into that pending patent from Walmart...
>
> Walmart licensed the code they're sharing under the Apache License 2.0:
[...]
> I commend Walmart for doing this.

Indeed. I wish IBM would do a bit more of it, rather than crowing over
the ever increasing number of patents they hold that are not so
licensed.

> Without filing for a patent, somebody else (who might be much less generous)
> could grab it.

Well, no. The easier and cheaper thing to do would be to publish the
potentially patentable information as early as possible. This makes
the knowledge available, while forestalling anyone else's attempt to
patent it. IBM used to have an entire print journal for just this
purpose. [IBM, and doubtless others, have also exploited the nifty
trick of publishing in the most obscure (preferably foreign language)
journal that the US patent office will recognize as counting toward
publication. Then when someone else independently invents and tries to
patent, out comes the journal article to shut it down. But that's
another story.]

Tony H.