From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Barbara Nitz
Sent: 07 November 2019 06:30
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Zfs from 1 LPAR to another

>For over a year, I FTP'd a DFDSS dump of my IODF file to every LPAR that
>needed it.  Worked fine, until it didn't.  IBM's response to the PMR that I
>opened is that the only 100% reliable way to FTP a DFDSS dump file was to
>terse it first.  IBM does not support direct FTP of a DFDSS dump file.  So I
>now terse every DFDSS dump file before FTPing it to other systems, and I
>haven't had another failure in 6 years.  As I said, it will work until it
>doesn't.

And just to add my two cents: A few years back I tried to migrate a (user)
catalog from one RDT lpar (where I had things customized) to another RDT lpar
(at a higher z/OS level). The dump (RC=0) got restored with RC=0, IDCAMS
imported the catalog with RC=0, but the content was completely unusable. Trying
to access any data set in that catalog on the DASD (that had also been
migrated, but not via ftp) resulted in a plethora of strange rc/rsn
combinations that really didn't make any sense. I eventually tersed the catalog
dump and untersed/restored/imported on the other side. Now the data sets were
accessible without any problems.
I did not open any PMR with IBM but I learned to always terse a DFDSS dump if I
need to send it somewhere via ftp otherwise the results could get
unpredictable. I don't think there's anything worse than a dataset that may or
may not have been altered subtly. Don't take any chances, even if this is not
clearly documented anywhere.

Regards, Barbara

e-mail, and delete this message.

33014286