From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: 06 November 2019 16:24
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Zfs from 1 LPAR to another

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 9:18 AM Vernooij, Kees (ITOP NM) - KLM <
kees.verno...@klm.com> wrote:

> So do we.
>
> And I wonder what the actual problem is? If the DFDSS dump dataset has
> such a special (internal) format, that FTP cannot always handle it
> correctly, why can AMATERSE do this without problems?

A DFDSS dump dataset is RECFM=U. Each "logical record" is simply a block on
DASD, with no imbedded (in the data) of where the record ends. This is a
artifact of the ECKD format that only the IBM z (as far as I know) uses.
AMATERSE encodes the length of each physical block actually read into its data
stream. And it produces FB output. So when you send it somewhere, the LRECL is
always known. AMATERSE uses the encoded data in the FB to restore the data onto
disk in the same PHYSICAL format that it was unloaded, making it usable once
again by DFDSS. IMO, DFDSS should just have used VB or VBS format.

> If it FTP only, what is the special problem for FTP? What other
> dataset formats are a problem for FTP?

Not FTP only.

--
People in sleeping bags are the soft tacos of the bear world.
Maranatha! <><

e-mail, and delete this message.

33014286