On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 09:30:30 -0500, Peter Relson wrote:

><snip>
>Yes it's documented and legit, but it's a change in behaviour over the
>last few z/OS releases. In IIRC z/OS 1.x, WTO did not clobber AR15,
>and STORAGE OBTAIN did not change the high half of R1.
></snip>
>
>You have no way of knowing if that is true or not. All that you could
>possibly say is that you did not encounter such a case. The environment
>that could cause such a case might even not have been under your control
>and might be uncommon. ...

I.e. the user, or even an ISV, was depending on undocumented behavior's
remaining unchanged.

>The statement is not correct about STORAGE OBTAIN. The high half of R1 has
>been changed on STORAGE OBTAIN ever since high halves existed. ...

Does code written at a time before "high halves existed", or perhaps even
before ARs existed, and depending only on OS behavior documented at
such a time, continue to operate correctly?  If so, a user has no ground
for a complaint.  If it fails now, IBM should graciously apologize and move
on.  The pertinent aphorism is, "You can't make an omelet without breaking
eggs."

-- gil