Yes, only batch applications can run AMODE 64, CICS applications
cannot. AMODE 64 is an option with Cobol 6.3, and it must be
specifically requested.

AMODE 64 Cobol applications cannot be mixed with AMODE 31
Cobol applications. You cannot call between AMODE 64 and
AMODE 31 Cobol programs, either with a static or a dynamic call.
The reason is that LE only supports AMODE 64 using XPLINK-64
linkage, rather than using the standard 64-bit save area formats
that are described in detail in
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.ieaa600/chap2.htm

XPLINK was designed for C, which is notorious for creating small
subroutines and requiring a more efficient linkage between
routines. A major disadvantage of XPLINK is that, while the
linkage from one XPLINK program to another is slightly more
efficient than standard linkage, a call from XPLINK to a program
using standard linkage is considerably less efficient. This includes
calls to system services, such as GET and PUT.

In LE, this is compounded by the fact that major LE control
blocks, including the CAA, have different and incompatible
formats for programs using standard linkage, XPLINK (31-bit)
and XPLINK-64.

LE and Cobol development stubbornly insist on using XPLINK
for 64-bit applications rather than use the 64-bit save area
formats that were designed for interoperability between programs
that use standard 72-byte save areas and programs that use the
newer save area formats to support saving and restoring 64-bit
registers.

The bottom line is that you can't use 64-bit Cobol unless your
entire application is compiled as a 64-bit application. That includes
any common routines that you might normally call. And if you
convert those common routines to 64-bit Cobol, you cannot call
them from 31-bit Cobol, so you need to maintain two versions.

--
Tom Marchant