On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 7:50 AM David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2020-02-19 8:24 PM, John McKown wrote:
> >> This look interesting!
> >>
> >> IBM have a new product for running traditional batch utilities using an
> >> API that works in shell scripts, Java and Python.
> >>

> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSKFYE_1.0.1/welcome_zoautil.html
> >>

> > Some of these things remind me of Dovetail Technologies' "Co:Z" and
> > "Dataset Utilities" functionality. I am guessing that this is a cost
> > product? Dovetail's utilities are free. But they don't include the Java
> and
> > Python stuff -- that is really nice, to me. Not that I'll ever see any of
> > this stuff. We're still on the "death watch" here. Been on it for years,
> > and over multiple owners.
>
> Co:Z seems to be the much better option for shell scripting. The IBM
> offering is a C DLL that is wrapped in JNI for Java
> with a native C API. I have to say, I prefer Co:Z to calling batch
> utilities but the later may be more effecient for copying PDS data sets.

I forgot that I do have access to this via a friend's system (Dallas
Innovation). I already have a complaint or a desired change: The "dls"
command needs a "-q" (quiet) option to suppress the output and only set the
return code, so that I can do something like:

dls -q some.ps.dsn && dtail some.ps.dsn

Yes, I know that I can do:

dls some.ps.dsn >/dev/null 2>&1 && dtail some.ps.dsn

But a '-q' or maybe '-s' (silent) option is more "elegant" to me. And I'm a
lazy typer.

--
People in sleeping bags are the soft tacos of the bear world.
Maranatha! <><