I do not agree that it is right to start from the DSECT and produce the C
from it.

That is exactly what the DSECT utility attempts to do. It has an
impossible task, depending on how funky the assembler is.

In my experience, I have found the best starting point to be a high level
language definition, where that user understands that the goal is
assembler and understands the limitations that that implies. For example,
the high level language definition should avoid using the same name twice,
even if in different parts of a structure. It would work in the high level
language, but without manipulating the duplicate name in some fashion, the
assembler would not work. So "don't do that".

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design