On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 09:13:39 -0500, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

>Third, with regard to IEBCOPY's failing and then exiting with return code
>zero, I can't find any documentation that specifies the >meaning of a zero
>return code, but issuing IGW01557W MEMBER NOT COPIED and then exiting with
>return code zero certainly >violates the principle of least astonishment.

IIRC, you stated earlier that you received messages similar to this one:
IGW01557W MEMBER FOO NOT COPIED BECAUSE THE NAME ALREADY EXISTS IN
THE OUTPUT DATASET CAUSING A COPY GROUP NO-REPLACE CONFLICT

That would indicate to me that you did not specify Replace (R) on either the
INDD parm of COPYGROUP/COPYGRP or on the SELECT statement for the members.
Since the specified members already existed in the output file and you did not
specify Replace, then you told IEBCOPY to only Copy the members if they did not
exist in the output file.  IEBCOPY did exactly what you told it to do, so the
Return Code should be zero!  Oddly enough, if you specify Replace and you Copy
a member that does not exist in the output file, IEBCOPY will give you a Return
Code of 4!  :-)>

IEBCOPY and other utilities Return Codes are documented, (somewhat!), in
"Appendix A. Invoking Utility Programs from an Application Program" in the
"DFSMSdfp Utilities" manual, (at least in z/OS V2.2).

--
Dale R. Smith