These are my results from a benchmark I did 4 years ago:

Testcases which loop  recovering/retrying from an
operation exception.
Using default system trace size - 1MB per CPU,  with
20 CPUs, so 20MB of data to snap)
z13 machine

Recovery            Iterations  CPU seconds  Ratio
ESPIE               x'200000'      3.53        1.0
FRR                 x'200000'     45.66       12.9
ESTAEX (no SNAPTRC) x' 20000'     98.95       28.0
ESTAEX (SNAPTRC)    x'  1000'    102.83   14,914.7

Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test  IBM Corp.
Poughkeepsie NY
(845) 435-4741
D10JHM1@PLPSC  (MVS)   JMULDER@S390VM  (VM)