Thanks, but never mind.

The change to using '.jav' instead of '.java' for the compiler would
have to be done at Java's implementation level, i.e. as a sysadmin or
sysprog. I have found no-one among the Java developers and course tutors
who could tell me how to do this. So I thought this list *might* know.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers, Chris Poncelet (retired sysprog)