From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Allan Staller
Sent: 20 April 2020 14:45
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Opinions/experience on sharing catalogs outside plex

Yes, it can be done. I reiterate,  IMO,  this is most likely not a good idea.
In order to accomplish this safely, you  also need to regress GRS to pre-GRS
functionality.
Everything affecting this catalog must be handled w/Reserve/Release, and not
normal processing
VSAM Sharoptions for the catalog need to be changed. IIRC when I "undid" this
the catalog hand Shareoptions (2,3) (or was it 4,3?).
This option tells z/OS that the user is responsible for Catalog seriailization.
SYSDSN, SYSIGGV2, SYSVTOC, SYSZVSAM (?) and the SPF* queues need to be excluded
from GRS processing.

In my case that led to various deadly embraces that usually led to manual
intervention.

My $0.02 USD on this is: Why point the shotgun at your foot?