From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Gerhard adam
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 2:20 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [External] Re: Here we go again;

        ... and so goes the mythology.  The truth is that programmers routinely
used lousy block sizes and wastes tremendous amounts of space.  JCL sizes were
rarely scrutinized nor was data set usage.  It was entirely possible for test
data to exist for weeks or months beyond its usefulness This isn’t to say that
money was obviousness spent and even wasted, but few installations took
managing their DASD seriously.  They would worry about saving a byte by packing
a date while wasting 100 tracks due to poor blocking.
This is why nothing really happened until System Determined Blocksize, and the
Storage Administrator tools became available. People certainly wrung their
hands but rarely did anything about it

        Get Outlook for iOS

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 12:08 PM -0700, "Pommier, Rex"
<rpomm...@sfgmembers.com> wrote:

Agreed.  Another thing to remember was that we were dealing with disk volumes
measured in kilobytes or megabytes instead of terabytes.  In addition, the site
I cut my teeth on had all removable disk packs that got rotated onto the drives
for processing of each application.  Every byte saved per record gave us the
better chance of fitting the entire set of datasets on a single disk set so we
could process it.

Rex