The only thing I can't figure out how Lz did it was emulation of a CICSPLEX,
and zDB2, and zIMS
None of those are simple.  Plus mainframes have massive thru-put capability

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Phil Smith III
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2020 8:56 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: LzLabs

Peter Baumann wrote, in part:

>Emulating the entire ecosystem and all the third-party tools seems like

>insane. They call it re-hosting. IMHO you can re-host something written

>to open standards. Otherwise you have to deal with legal issues and

>since it's all propritary and patented they must have reverse

>engineered entire zOS. Can you do it without infringing on patents ?

>And even if you can, how many man years would you need ? Harsh reality

>these days is funding is becoming scarce.

LzLabs was very careful to avoid any infringement: folks working on their
stuff had to sanitize their bookshelves, even. Doesn't guarantee anything,
but they've been at it a while, certainly longer than PSI did their thing,
and IBM hasn't sued, so that probably tells us something.

As Steve notes, this is hardly John Moores' first rodeo: he won't have gone
into this guessing/assuming he could just do it and get away with it.

Like any rehosting, the point here is to capture the value of the existing
business logic. That's huge and is why LzLabs and other such approaches
(*cough* Micro Focus Enterprise Server *cough*) exist and are successful.

So while it's certainly unarguable that LzLabs' play is very ambitious, I'd
not dismiss it as silly (not saying you were, but I've heard others do so).
To the modern CIO who sees the mainframe as legacy, this kind of thing is
extremely appealing.

Let's not bother to go into why that may or may not be a valid perspective:
the real point is that folks at least think they want this; all it has to do
is work well enough. "Good enough is good enough" for most people.